Sailing is a terrific sport and at Kanata Sailing Club we have programs specifically designed for children and younger teens.
Our programs focus on teaching the basic skills of sailing in a safe and controlled environment. But we add a healthy dose of fun to make each class a great experience for the participants.
Sail Canada certified instructors will teach participants all they need to know to be able to handle a small dinghy in light to medium strength winds using KSC’s fleet of kid-friendly training boats.
This program teaches to the Sail Canada CANSAIL Level 1 and 2 standard. For more information on what your young sailor will learn, click here.
Junior Advanced Learn to Sail Program
In addition to our Introductory Learn to Sail programs we offer a Junior Advanced Learn to Sail program for those who have achieved their CANSAIL 1 and would like to advance their skills further.
We have multiple JLTS sessions running throughout the summer, so it’s easy to find a program which fits your schedule. Note that the JLTS/JALTS number is a session number and not a CANSAIL level.
|Course Code||Course Dates||Training Days|
|JLTS 1||July 4 - July 8||Tuesday through Saturday (all day)|
|JLTS 2||July 10 - July 14||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|JLTS 3||July 17 - July 21||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|JLTS 6||July 24 - July 28||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|JLTS 4||Aug 8 - Aug 12||Tuesday through Saturday (all day)|
|JLTS 5||Aug 21- Aug 25||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|JALTS 1||July 31 - Aug 4||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|JALTS 2||Aug 14 - Aug 18||Monday through Friday (all day)|
|All-day classes||9:00 AM – 4:30 PM|
|JLTS Child Training Registration||$394 + HST|
|Advanced JLTS Training Registration||$394 + HST|
It is very difficult to reschedule or fill vacancies as the class start date approaches. For that reason the LTS program has the following fees for cancellation:
- Greater than 3 weeks prior to start of classes: $50 fee
- Less than 3 weeks but before start of classes: $200 fee
- After start of classes: no refund possible
The Small Print
- Students must wear footwear when sailing (no flip flops or crocs)
- Children under 16 require a sport helmet (bicycle, hockey, ski)
- A water sport wet suit is recommended for those enrolling in the spring session
- Written training materials produced by Sail Canada are recommended but not required. These are available at a cost of $25 plus HST. One copy may be shared among students in the same family or group.
- KSC has policies relating to the use of club boats by persons under the age of 18 years without adult supervision. There are no restrictions on minors using KSC boats when accompanied by adults in the boat.